Saturday, February 6, 2010

Brown Rounds

Good Morning! I haven't forgotten about you guys, I promise! The past few days I have been so busy with Jeremy's birthday and all, I really haven't had time to work on the cookbook. I don't have an actual cookbook entry ready to post, but I do have a simple recipe to share with y'all. The recipe is only for one serving, so you can add as many as you like.  =)

Hash Browns

1 medium potato
1 tablespoon oil or shortening
(you can add diced onions or cheese or anything you like)

· Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
· Peel and grate the potato.
· Place the grated potato in an old, clean dish towel (or any kind of small towel) and wring out all of the juices. (This is super important! If you don't wring out the juices, the hash browns will be really mushy and will take forever to brown. Also, you want to make sure you are using an old towel or something you don't care to mess up because the potato juices will turn the towel black. I have a few towels that are designated for this kind of stuff.)
· Carefully scatter the potato into the hot oil. (This is where you would add your extras, like onions or jalapenos or whatever you like.)
· Fry the potato until the edges are brown and really crispy. (It usually takes about 10 minutes or so. The middle isn't going to be as crispy, so if you want them really crispy, you almost have to burn the edges. lol.) 
· Flip the potato and fry the other side until it is brown and crispy. (You can't really tell by looking at the edges, so what i do is just take my spatula and lift one side up so I can see under it.) (When it's almost done is when you would add the cheese on top.)
· When it is done, Place the potato onto some paper towels to drain the grease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment