Monday, January 18, 2010

It's Not Always Complicated

The relationship between Jeremy and his Granny is one that I would never be able to portray on paper. The mutual feelings of love and respect between the two are far greater than I could ever describe.
I adore absolutely adore Granny! She has made me feel like I have been a part of her family since the very first time I stepped through her front door.
This recipe for brown rice is super simple, and Jeremy LOVES it.

Granny’s Brown Rice

Jeremy used to look forward to this dish every holiday. “We had it every Christmas and Thanksgiving and we always looked forward to it.”

Granny showed me how to make it the first time I ever met her, Christmas 2007. I was scared to death because it was my first time ever meeting Jeremy’s family. Granny welcomed me in with open arms and made me feel at home from the moment I walked through the door.

1 cup regular uncooked long grain rice

1 tablespoon butter

1 can beef consommé

1 can beef broth

A couple of slices of onion

• Preheat oven to 375°.

• Put the uncooked rice in a casserole dish with the butter and microwave it for about 20-30 seconds. (just to melt the butter) Then mix the butter in, coating the rice so it doesn’t stick.

• Add the consommé and broth, and give it a little stir.

• Break up the slices of onion, and just lay them on top over the rice.

• Cover the dish and bake for about 40-45 min. (The length of time it takes to cook is always different for me. I usually just keep checking it after about 30 min, when the rice has absorbed all of the broth, it’s done.)

No comments:

Post a Comment