Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ham it up!


Creating this cookbook has been (and continues to be) so much fun! I got my first mail package yesterday. My aunt had photocopied the recipe book that my Mama Betty had given her and sent it too me. The best part is... it was all hand written! I couldn't stop smiling as I read over each holiday menu she had written and the recipes that followed, remembering how close our family had once been. I remember my grandmother would be in the kitchen for two days preparing food for our big 'ol family each and every holiday. It's been eleven and a half years since Mama Betty passed, and there is not a day that goes by I don't miss her. I'm sure we all do.
I think it's things like this that make writing this cookbook so special to me. My children didn't get to meet Mama Betty, but through the recipes and stories and pictures in this cookbook they will be able to know her as well as other family members and friends that they may not remember when they get older or may not ever get to meet. A little piece of each person will live on.
I made this ham yesterday morning, then I received this package yesterday afternoon, and when i saw this recipe in her book, i knew it absolutely had to go in mine. =)

Baked Ham

Mama Betty made this ham every Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. She loved having all of her family together each and every holiday and no matter what differences or arguments you might have, you left them at the door. If you didn’t, she was likely to come after you with a wicker basket! LOL! Mama Betty wouldn’t have any fighting or arguing at her family get togethers, and everyone respected that.

A fairly large ham

1 can of coca-cola

• Preheat oven to 325°.

• Take the ham out of it’s packaging and place it in a large (I use a 2” deep) pan.

• Cover the ham with the coca-cola then cover it tightly with aluminum foil.

• Bake it for 25 min per pound.

No comments:

Post a Comment