Monday, January 25, 2010

Easy as Pie

I had completely forgotten about this dish until the other night. I was trying to find something to make for dinner that was quick, easy, and inexpensive. Dinner doesn't always have to be a huge production. ;)

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

This is a recipe I got from Elaine (Grandma Anglin) right after Tyler was born. I was probably the worst cook ever back then. LOL! There’s really no way to mess this one up, unless you just plain burn it. You can even play around with the ingredients. =)

2 pie shells (I usually get the frozen ones and just let them thaw, but the refrigerated ones work well too.)

1 whole chicken (I go with the rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. They are about the same price as a raw chicken and the work is already done for you. If you want only breast meat, I would get 2 chickens. You can also use the canned breast.)

1 large can of mixed vegetables, drained (You can also use the frozen veggies, it just takes longer to cook. In my opinion, the frozen veggies make the pie soggy.)

2 small cans cream of chicken soup

¼ cup water

• Preheat oven to 375°.

• Pull the meat from your cooked chicken.

• Heat the cream of chicken soup with the water. (you don’t have to boil it, or even get it all the way hot, just heat it enough to mix with the water. I usually just pop it in the microwave for a minute.)

• In one of the pie shells layer the chicken, veggies, and soup. (I usually do this twice. Chicken, veggies, soup, chicken, veggies, soup. I think it turns out a little more even.)

• Place the other pie shell on top, then pinch the sides all the way around to seal it up. (My pies always end up super thick, so this is the hardest part for me. I almost always rip the dough. One of the tricks I have learned to help keep it together is keeping the dough cold. I just leave it in the fridge while I am making the pie and then I sit the bottom of the pie pan in warm water to loosen the dough from the pan.)

• Cut a few slits in the top and bake it for about an hour (or until it is warmed through and the shell is golden).

No comments:

Post a Comment