Monday, December 20, 2010

Sweet Taters!

     The kiddos have gone to Georgia for the holidays, and I am home sick. So I thought "What a perfect time to work on my blog!" :)

     For most people, Christmas time is a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and to reflect and celebrate with family and friends the year that has passed. This Christmas is a very special one for me. Although I will not get to spend it with Jeremy or the kids or my family, I have so much to celebrate! This year, though it has been tough, has been very rewarding. I have grown as a person, as a partner, and as a mom. It hasn't been easy, and I still have A LOT to learn, but when I sit back and see all of the accomplishments I have made, it makes it all worth it! I have an amazing family and the best friends and family a girl could ask for!  I am so very blessed in more ways than I can count, and this year is definitely one I will never forget!
     One of Jeremy's absolute favorite holiday foods is sweet potato casserole, so what I have done is taken his Granny's recipe and my Mama Betty's recipe, along with some tips from my Maw Maw and created my own scrumptious version of this holiday favorite. :)

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 medium or 2 large sweet potatoes
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark, whichever you have)
1 stick of butter (soft)
about 1/4 cup of heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup (toasted and chopped) pecans
1 teaspoon cinnamon
kosher salt
oil
marshmallows! (Jeremy's favorite part! lol. The small ones work best.)

     Instead of boiling the sweet potatoes, I roast them. To me, they have a lot more flavor and aren't as mushy. Just place them on a pan and cover them with oil (I use olive oil, but whatever you have will work), then top them with kosher salt and place them in the oven (400°), depending upon how big they are, about an hour or so until they are soft. Allow them to cool a bit. Next, add the potatoes, eggs, brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, a very small pinch of salt and pecans and mix it well. Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray and pour in the sweet potato mixture. Bake it in the oven at 350° for about 30 minutes, then add the marshmallows on top and bake it until they are golden. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment